Monday, November 20, 2006

Maggie and the Mouse

Maggie finally realized her destiny as a cat this morning; she caught a mouse. Thankfully, Master Daddy was up and around to aid Maggie in her quest, to put the mouse out of its' misery, and to dispose of the body. I was blissfully asleep and unaware.

We have been expecting to find mouse droppings as Maggie has taken up almost permanent residence in front of either the stove or the dishwasher, peering at it with an intensity equal to Superman's x-ray vision. Master Daddy and I looked under the stove last week and saw no mousely evidence, but I knew it was too good to be true.

This morning, Master Daddy pulled the storage drawer out from beneath the stove. There was nothing in the empty cavity, but there was something inside the drawer itself. Frightened, the mouse jumped and tried to take off but Maggie was quicker. She caught it in her mouth and took off to a corner of the house to play with it. Ick. Master Daddy stepped in to finish the mouse off and put the body inside a ziplock bag in order to show us all.

Abby was sad to see such a cute little mouse being tortured and killed. Little does she know...

As for me, I am very glad that this didn't happen on my watch! Just the thought of it gives me shivers. While I suspected that the mice were back for the winter, I was allowing myself to be lulled into a false sense of security every time I searched for evidence and came up empty. I suppose we're dealing with highly intelligent mice that know better than to leave their little droppings as calling cards. We've had Maggie for four years now, I think, and this was her first mouse! The kids want a party in honour of the event. I just want there to be no more mice. I guess we'll all be disappointed.

No comments: